Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Babysitters



There were so many highlights during our D.C. visit--a lovely wedding, a wonderful gathering with the Schultz family of The Schultz Bunch, a leisurely and long Sunday with friends on the waterfront, a stroll around Georgetown and so forth.

We were in D.C. for only one night, and we left Levi with a babysitter.
This was the first time we left our son alone for the night with someone other than a grandparent.  The babysitter was Kristi Ann, someone I hold very close to my heart.  I trust her completely.  I worried, regardless, that Levi would be traumatized.

Silly me.

The day before we left for D.C., I made eye contact with Levi and said as plainly as I could that he was going to play and sleep with Kristi Ann while Mama and Pop went out.  This became the mantra for the train ride from NYC to D.C.  I told Levi at interludes, " Mama and Pop will go out and you will play and sleep with Kristi Ann."

Each time he gave me the same thoughtful silent look.

When we checked in at the hotel, Levi went to the window right away.  Our room overlooked traffic.  I knew this would be paradise for truck/car loving Levi.



When Kristi Ann arrived, Levi signed her name, "Kristi Ann!  Kristi Ann!"  The last time he saw her, he called her Woman.  This meant he grasped what I said to him over and over again for the last two days.

Photo Credit: Julie Hochgesang Cameron

Photo Credit: Julie Hochgesang Cameron

He whimpered when we left.  I think I whimpered too.  Kristi Ann reported to me later that the window was a diversion and his saving grace.  Levi watched the vehicles below until he nodded off with Douglas' sneaker and my sunglasses nestled in his arms.

In essence Levi had two babysitters that night--Kristi Ann and the window.



2 comments :

  1. This is priceless. Everything about this post is beautiful, straight from the heart. I'm even jealous you got Kristi Ann to babysit Levi. I wish she lived closer - she would be the first one on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet. so so sweet.

    ReplyDelete