Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Introvert/Extrovert



I am an introvert.  I was voted Quietest Camper once as a kid.  The following year I received the  Bookworm title.  In high school my career vocational teacher diagnosed me as an introvert after I took the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test.



I'm not really shy.  I can be quite gregarious and friendly.  I just enjoy my time alone as much as I enjoy being with people.  I need to be alone sometimes, in order to recharge.  Really.  People say, "I need to get together with my girls!"  For me, it's "I need to get together with myself!"  It's funny when I get sympathetic looks when I talk about being alone.  But I digress here.

As a mama I am rarely alone these days (and probably the reason why I can feel drained some days).  I couldn't put my finger on it, but a fellow introvert mama said it succinctly about her exuberant, bouncing Tigger of a son: "My boy forces me to interact with people.  It wears me out!"

I'm not sure about Levi's personality just yet--he swings from being chatty to staring and saying nothing.  He is not a bundle of energy, nor is he the kind that retreats behind his mama's dress.  I think he's in between, but then again, who knows?  We go to playgrounds often and this requires plenty of interaction with strangers.


Douglas said something very interesting the other day.  He said, "We need to be more assertive around other people in front of Levi."  My first reaction was a bit defensive.  But this is me!  There's nothing wrong with being a wallflower!  Then after some thinking (yes, in solitude) I concur.

If Levi is naturally an extrovert, wouldn't he benefit from some modeling, especially since we are Deaf and have an unique way of interacting with people who do not sign?

My loving hearing family made sure they signed with me, but when they interacted with other nonsigners, I missed out.

This was during the minor, seemingly unimportant daily stuff such as ordering food, asking for directions, greeting another stranger in the elevator.  I honestly did not know how to approach a stranger who did not sign.  That came to me way later when I was among other signers who were Deaf and knew how to navigate the world of nonsigners.  By watching, I saw the different strategies people used to communicate.  I also learned that one must have a sense of humor about it.

I think that in a way it worked out just fine for me because of my introverted nature.  But what if I was a bubbly extrovert?  I am sure I would've figured it out eventually, but not without frustration and yearning.

Levi has an advantage--he will learn from his Deaf parents what it is like being signers in a world of nonsigners.  So Douglas has a point.  Plenty of social modeling couldn't hurt.

This wallflower mama will hitch her introverted pants up and start being more assertive.  Yikes.

As long as Levi can see how he could get a word in edgewise.

4 comments :

  1. Lauren, I can be both introvert and extrovert. My first child is extrovert while second child is introvert, sometime my kids bring me out to communicate with non-signers when they socialize with other kids. It will come naturally somehow. Sometime, I prefer to be quiet and not to deal with non-signers, I rather to sit and watch while kids running around or making any cute actions. Best way to say, go with the flow. Some non-signers would find a way to communicate with me, I go along with them without trying. I know the feeling. I am thankful for David (my hubby), he is very extrovert and easily to approach to non-signers, I let them to get acquainted, sometime pulling me in to have conversation. I noticed, kids seem not mind if I am quiet or making contact with them. I guess, it wraps up, be yourself and go with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know what other parents do with their children. Thanks for the share...and yes, I'll be my usual self, just more aware about how I interact with other people with Levi watching. Monkey see, monkey do, right?

      Delete
  2. It's actually good you wrote about your experience in being an introvert raising a potential extrovert. Personally, I have asperger's -- so as a result, while I may enjoy being around people, it's difficult and exhausting for me trying to read and understand people, and trying to respond accordingly. So as a result, I'm what one could term a "forced introvert". I may enjoy being around people, but I limit how much I'm around people because it's energy-consuming.

    On the other hand, my fiancee is an actual introvert.

    Our daughter however is putting up every appearance that makes it seem most likely she'll be an extrovert. She's comfortable with strangers, demonstrates minimal separation anxiety, enjoys being around people and interacting with them even if they're strangers. She's fascinated to people. I'm confident you totally can empathize when I say both I and my fiancee were at a loss at how to handle this. Social skills is not something we possess. So it's been quite a learning experience for us. You certainly have given me food for thought: the last thing I want is for my daughter to be held back in social development because I didn't want to deal with the socializing aspect. So it seems I just may have to put myself out there to maximize her ability to acquire social skills.

    It's funny, as parents, we believe we'll be the ones doing the teaching. But it is starting to seem that in order to teach our children, we end up learning as we teach. So perhaps it's not just parents teaching children, it's also children teaching the parents, mmm?

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experience, I just referred this article to my fiancee as I know she'll benefit and enjoy reading this -- she'll be glad to know there's people out there who have similar experiences and can empathize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have Adelle get involved when she's out with me....even before she could talk. At the farmer's market she'd help me pick out apples, hand them to the vendor, and give them money/take money back. At the shops she pushes the buttons when paying by card and takes the receipt. I model by saying hello to people and thanking them. Just the basics of human interaction, nothing out of the ordinary. I also encourage her/model for her how to approach people when she tries to get me to mediate for her (she's a bit older than Levi though). So, if she indicates she wants a turn with a toy, or a bit of someone else's snack I tell her "You can ask. Ask her/him 'can I have a turn please?' or 'will you share your snack?' I think you can still be true to yourself and model plenty :)

    ReplyDelete