Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dear Virgil


My older sister Cristin always kept a journal. Because of her, I wrote my way through my tweens and my teens, confessing my life to a diary with the name Virgil.  Why Virgil?

I have absolutely no idea. I stopped writing to Dear Virgil when I went away to college and life shifted from the written word to the typed word.  That meant I stopped recording my life in the writerly sense.

Last month my mum reminded me that I am thirty-something (in the same breath she also reminded me to take better care of my elbows).  I'm a mama myself now.  Raising Levi has made the sunny days long, the seasons fast.  The milestones, big and small stones are fast piling up, and I have been chasing after those "stones" in a scatterbrained way: Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook.  Those are all the awww moments.

So the camera Douglas gave us me is the impetus for this blog.  Brooklyn Sweet Brooklyn is far more significant and succinct than Dear Virgil.  As I record our life, including the aww and the ehhh and even the eww moments, I will not forget why I chose the name Brooklyn Sweet Brooklyn.

3 comments :

  1. Hi lady! I love the pics you took in your blog. Would like to know what kind of canon camera and lens u use in those pics? ;)

    Levi is such a cutie pie! Hope everything is well at your end!!

    Hugs!
    Tasha L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tasha :) Thanks! Douglas really scored points on this one. The camera is a Canon Rebel T4i. It's good for beginners like me--the camera actually walks me through which setting I should use. I use macro lens (Canon 50mm) most of the time. Occasionally I switch to Sigma Zoom 18-200mm lens. Hope all is good with you!
    xx
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Kudos to Douglas :) I have T3i and 50mm F/1.4 too :) I am considering to get 28mm 1.4 USM lens so I can take pictures when I am close to something else. 50mm, its harder if you are indoor and cant take a picture of the whole things. Well, love your journal blogs!

    Hugss
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete