Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

List #3: Appreciation for this Old Breuckelen House


We live in a 102-year old rowhouse.  Half brownstone, half brick.  I was secretly pregnant with Levi when we moved into our newly renovated home and for the next few months I embraced my crazy nesting urge as I added the finishing touches to our home.  Or so I thought.  Now that Levi has been here for a year, I find that homemaking has only begun.  Our home is a process, changing day by day to meet our needs as a new family.  I love being home most of the time (naturally there are days when I want to get out, go out, be somewhere, anywhere, please!), and I find that the more I stay at home, the more I realize how merciless my critical eye can be.  Peeling paint.  Light switches in weird places.  Steep stairs.  An iron gate that needs replacing.  This old place has been getting a lot of work done.  It also needs love.  So today I am focusing on what I love about this fine old building,


1.  The light that comes streaming in after Levi's first nap.  Photo ops open up on the southernly side of the home.

2.  The laundry room.  It's still a work in progress, but I love having a washer and dryer in the bedroom, tucked away in the alcove.  

3.  Having a backyard.  Last spring I planted kale, mustard greens, tat soi, swiss chard, radishes, carrots, tomatoes and basil.  Grabbing a fresh bunch of tat soi for some warm pho feels so indulgent.  Really?  I just have to walk into the backyard and get what I need to eat?  Surreal.

4.  Evenings in the living room after Levi has gone down for the night.  The soft light, the shades drawn, the white rug.  Doug and I snuggle and enjoy our free time together.  Sometimes we laugh, sometimes we worry about the choices we make as parents, sometimes we just say nothing and watch a mindless flick.  This little room carved out by stragetically placed sofas is our solace.

5.  The space we have.  I do not appreciate the clutter that I fight daily, and I am aware that we lack enough storage space, but I see that as a reminder not to accumulate too much.  There are two kinds of people: people who cherish having more and people who cherish having less.  I'm the latter.  I love the fact that we have space and not enough storage space.

What do you love about your home?

No comments :

Post a Comment