Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Babywearing List


1.  K'Tan
2.  Sakura
3.  Baby Bjorn
4.  Didymos (4.6)
5.  Moby
6.  Ergo
7.  Girasol
8.  Didymos (4.2)

This is a chronological list of babywearing items I own.  I was pregnant with Levi when I watched a friend skillfully maneuver her baby onto her chest with a long, soft stretchy wrap.  The baby fell asleep immediately and I fell in love with the idea just as quickly.

The K'TAN



Levi's prenatal hiccups kept me awake so I spent the time obsessing researching about baby wraps on my iPad.  I was overwhelmed, so I latched onto the first carrier that had a great review: the K'Tan.  It didn't look too crunchy, granola-y and I thought it was rather smart, more efficient than a long wrap.  Basically the wearer just popped the baby in and out, as opposed to wraps that required practice.  I registered for two, one for me, one for Douglas because the K'Tans came in different sizes.  When Levi came, a tiny thing with huge hairless eyebrows (does that even make sense?), the K'Tan seemed a bit tight.  I worried Levi would asphyxiate.  He also sweated and I sweated.  Uncomfortable.  So I moved on.




The Sakura Bloom Silk Sling


The pink wall across the street begs for graffiti love. The other night two clean cut boys, dressed as if they were from the Upper East Side, furtively added their love to the wall. I wonder about Levi. What will he do on the sly one day?
Babywearing at its most luxuriant.  Silk!
One of my favorite bloggers, of Marvelous Kiddo, raved about her Sakura Bloom silk sling.  This sling is made of a long rectangular piece of silk, threaded through two rings.  The silk sling does not stretch and feels very secure and is simply gorgeous to look at and touch.  

I wore this sling faithfully.  When we started using the silk sling, Levi was not sitting independently, but he was alert and wanted to participate in the world around him.  This sling was the perfect solution--instead of leaving him on the playmat, I was able to tote him around the house, talking to him face-to-face.  

This also was my go-to when out and about, such as at parties and walking through museums.  We were able to look at each other and talk.  I found that the older he got, the harder it got for me to wear him for long periods of time because most of the weight is placed on one shoulder.   Now that Levi is a toddler, I will give it another try--this is a good sling to pop him in and out of, especially if he wants to walk/is too tired to walk.  Thumbs up.  




The Baby Bjorn Carrier


We are carriers.  We carry Levi around, either in a Baby Bjorn carrier (Pop) or in a Sakura Bloom silk sling (Mama).  We choose to carry rather than to stroll.  We belong to a slightly crunchy group of people who “wear” their babies, so whenever I pass another carrier, I want to do a secret handshake or throw a knowing wink their way.  

Our neighbors had one.  Douglas gravitated toward this carrier because it had buckles and seemed sturdy.  Masculine.  We used this when going out, but as soon as I read reports about hip displacement, we discontinued use.  Too bad.

















Doug insisted that I post more of his photos (because then I can make appearances on this blog). So here goes-this is from our treasure hunting trip a month ago. I was putting Levi in our beloved Didymos wrap. It is a bit of a headache wrapping the long material around my body but the payoff is great.  Levi falls asleep within minutes and we both are toasty warm.  Body heat trumps layers of bulky wear.
My 4.6m Didymos--a workhorse.  Great for winter due to
 its thick warmth.  Feels soft like an old pair of favorite jeans.

The Woven Wraps (Didymos & Girasol)


I made the leap.  I went for a crunchy woven wrap after reading about how it trumps all other forms of carriers for petite women.

I.  Love.  This.  Wrap.  I could write a poem about it.  I love it for its versatility (I could wear Levi in front, on the back, on the hip or just use it as a blanket).  I love it for its warmth and strength.  I love that Levi has a gesture that specifically means he wants to be wrapped.  I love that it fits me like a glove and that Douglas can use it too.  He was hesitant at first, but after wearing Levi with it, he was amazed at how comfortable it feels because the weight is distributed evenly.  I wear my wraps indoors and outdoors.






I favor my shorter Girasol for back carries.  The
fabric is supersoft and thinner, great for warmer weather.






There are a few drawbacks to  woven wraps.

1:  Its length.  I have three woven wraps now, in varying lengths.  The longest one can be a nuisance to wrap outdoors, especially if you don't want the ends dragging on the ground.

2:  It's a spectacle.  People like to watch.  I am aware of how convoluted it looks.  People either say, "Do you need help?"  or "I couldn't possibly do that."  My mother said I make it look hard.  One mother actually videotaped herself to see why everybody offered to help whenever she wrapped her baby.  I assure you--it is easier than it looks.

3:  Its steep learning curve.  It takes a few tries before mastering a wrap, but the rewards are so worth it.




Monday Bongo Night in the Hamptons.  There was
a sudden downpour so I draped a blanket over Levi.




The Ergo


This is a popular carrier.  I found one off Craigslist (in order to justify adding one more to my growing collection of baby carriers), new.  Meh.  My back hurts after long walks.  I can never get it to fit me just right--it doesn't hug our bodies like a glove.  Maybe it's my petite size.  What I do like about it is its hood feature--when Levi falls asleep, I can snap the hood onto my shoulder straps to hold his head in place.  I also like the pocket in front--perfect for that extra diaper or to hold a few items.  Otherwise I reach for my woven wrap first.  A friend told me this is best for toddlers.  Levi is now toddling, so I'll give it another try.  
Levi 







This wraps up my baby wearing list.  I vouch for the woven wraps and the silk sling.  There is something wonderful about holding my baby close.  What carriers do you use?  Love?  Dislike?



2 comments :

  1. This is a great post, Lauren! Thanks for writing up this. As a new mom, I'm still exploring which baby carrier is the best for my frame and for my newborn. I have Moby Wrap but it's still a struggle after many many attempts to get it right. Did you get to compare different woven wraps and have any preference in order for which you like the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're giving it a try! The Moby Wrap is super soft, but can be a bit trickier than woven wraps because of its stretchiness. I like the Didymos and the Girasol wraps. There are many other brands, ranging in price and quality. I'm sure that if you go to a shop that carries different wraps, they'll help you out! You can feel which fabric you like best--some are a bit stiffer (good for a secure fit), some are softer (nice on the skin, but will need periodic adjustments).

      Delete