Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tennessee Love

Photo credit: Jeff Schuler
Traveling is like dating.  So we've had a string of vacations.

Hawaii was a working vacation.  Nice, but not memorable.   Asia was a wild, hot visit that involved a 16-hour bus ride from hell and spicy pho.  Left us breathless.  Kuanidup was just a vacant, mindless, pretty fling that remains a fantasy.  Israel was of the academic sort.  We didn't smile much but learned plenty.  Thinking about Guatemala makes us cringe.  Little Corn Island just off Nicaragua made us hesitate, hm.  Maybe this could be the one.   But the trip there was treacherous and we weren't ready for long-distance love.

Now there is Tennessee.  

We were not gone long enough for the basil in the refrigerator to shrivel but this was a trip that left us longing for more.  This was a vacation that involved cows in the morning, the scent of wild mint walking along a creek, glistening watersheds, acres of green grass and purple nettle and fairies in the mountains with names like Peat Moss.

Maybe it was fate that my camera was dead upon arrival with no charger in sight.  After bemoaning the lost photo opportunities I moved on.   I ran down a mountain and drank in the country as I turned 35.  

This morning Levi asked for the cows when he woke up.  He brought out his red sneakers and said, "Levi outside."  Tennessee, we love you.


3 comments :

  1. Lauren, I think we may have spoke briefly about your planned trip to Guate. Just curious: what went wrong? Tim and I have spent a lot of time there and I wrote my dissertation about it. I know it is abysmal in political/crime/human rights terms, yes, but que paso?

    Anne, always enjoying yr purty blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house rental was on the beach. We saw a man die right in front of us. It was terrible. I wouldn't say it was Guatemala we would like to forget.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to add--authorities left the body there for the coroner to come. He didn't come until the next day.

      Delete