Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

OMG



This is Levi's OMG face.  What this photo does not show is the way his fingers dance and the way his whole body shakes when he is this excited.  What this photo does not show is why he is so elated.  

This next photo shows what gets Levi lit.  
  

Mason jar screw bands.  

Seriously.  

We have a kitchen drawer dedicated to Levi.  Plastic lids, bowls, sippy cups and assorted unbreakable kitchen things.  And of course those rings.  


Levi rummages around looking for those rings and once he locates one,  he slides it onto his arm.  Then he lets them slide off one by one.  


He spins the rings and watches them roll around until they fall over (or not).  The spinning is what Levi finds titillating (which is actually why Levi had that face--he was signing "spin!").  He puts the ring on his face and tries to fit his eyes, nose and mouth inside the inner circle (he can't).  Levi peeks through the rings and sees a different world.


I would be untruthful if I said he is content playing with those rings.  He is not.  He is genuinely heart-thumping thrilled.

I see Levi as an example, a reminder for me when I feel compelled to run out and buy new toys which is often.  I am one of those people in the less-is-more minimalist camp.  Or at least I try to be.  

Lately I find myself fighting the urge to take Levi out for a walk to the toy store (five amazing toy stores are within walking distance.  The torture!).   I just want to buy buy buy, get get get.  

But I know that the appeal of those stores are more for me than for Levi and that thrill is short-lived.  The new toys quickly become more stuff.  Nothing trumps the imagination.  The world is truly a fun place.

All it takes is an open mind to go OMG.





No comments :

Post a Comment