Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Grammy Airplane


We start out with so many ideas.  Some funny, some profound, some way off track.  Some right on target.

I believed that the world stopped whenever I went to sleep.  Everything on pause.  Dark.  Screeched to a standstill and remained there until I woke up.

Whoo, glad I got out of that egocentric mindset.

I refused to eat mushrooms because I believed that elves and fairies dwelled within.  The notions children have!

As a teacher, I got glimpses of the funny ideas my students had.  One boy thought his foot was literally on fire whenever it fell asleep.  He claimed that smoke would come out of his foot if he did not stamp the fire out.  Another boy believed that when people died, they went to New Jersey because that was where heaven was.  One girl said quite profoundly, "My grandparents are always with me.  Right now they are in the coat closet watching us."  Spooky.

With the onset of language, Levi's ideas are glimmering into view.

On Friday I attempted to convey to Levi that his Grammy was coming from Chicago.  This involved complicated roleplaying and photo references of Grammy from her last visit.

Levi looked at me and signed, "Grammy airplane."  Stopped me in mid-air.  Yes, that's it.  He said it quite casually.

I wonder about that moment.  How does he perceive Grammy who comes every couple months and stays for a few weeks?  Grammy Airplane?  What does he envision?  Does he understand that she boards a plane to come here?  Or does he imagine her as a literal plane?  What about Grandma and Grandpa who come here every Thursday by car?

What notions are growing in that little wonderful head of his?  I kind of hope he'll refuse to eat mushrooms because he believes in elves and fairies.




No comments :

Post a Comment