Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Peel Appeal




Now that Levi is hitting the 14-month mark, he's into things that challenge his fine motor skills.  Stickers, for starters.  I have a notebook that is devoted to his drawings and his stickers.  After breakfast I slip him his notebook and a few sheets and watch as he figures out how to bend the sheet back just so, until the sticker peels off.  He figured out how to transfer the sticker from his fingers to the paper, so that part he got down pat.  Removing the sticker from the sheet is still an occasional challenge.

Then today something in the air shifted.
Levi grabbed his notebook late in the afternoon, rifled through the pages until he saw a car sticker and looked at me.  "Want," he signed.   



I showed him how to peel the sticker off the page and he watched.  He pointed to a fish sticker and signed, "want," again.  I exaggerated my moves so he could see exactly how I peeled it--bending the paper and using my nail to scratch the edge of the sticker until it lost its grip on the paper.  Too hard for him to do.  But he is intrigued.  

I'm excited--that means he's ready for some toddler tape fun!  I have a roll of painter's tape (good because they peel off surfaces without damage).  He could stick pieces of tape on the floor and then peel them off.   Levi still has issues with the car, so maybe bringing that roll of tape would be a good diversion too.

There are tons of Pinterest ideas for tape activities--what other ideas have you seen or done?

use painters tape on the floor for toddlers to practice their balance and walk the line
icanteachmychild.com
Toddler Sticker Art Projects
artfulparent.com
didgeridoo craft.  We used stickers and markers for a toddler, and scissors, paper, a hole punch and lots of glue for a 4yo.  They had loads of fun making these.
kidscraftweekly.com





2 comments :

  1. you are an excellent mother and teacher, lauren! oh.. and i know daddy is, too, I just know who blogs! HA!

    ReplyDelete