Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Facts of Life


Since returning from Paris, I felt disillusioned with New York City.  Even the Chrysler tower seemed duller than usual.
 My first thought upon returning was about how ugly and unkempt New York City looked.  Despite being blessed with weeks of gorgeous weather and skies, I still could not help feel that my love for the city was waning.

Our brief stint to Indiana (we were there for just one night) left me missing the Midwestern feel: wide open skies and wide open smiles.  Levi was able to walk with us around town without us worrying about that pile of dog poop, that cigarette stub or the deadly street, all facts of New York City life.

Luckily for me I got some more of that Midwestern fix a couple days after we returned from Indiana.  My family came from Chicago at 2 am in the morning: Abuelo, Nana, Lucy and Isabelle (my two little sisters) dragged their pillows and bags in.  We hugged, talked over some pizza and one by one went to sleep.

For five short days we went around town each day and I fell back in cahoots with the city.  My city.  Empire State Building.  Fifth Avenue.  The Guggenheim.  Coney Island.  DiFara's (wonderful pizza, excruciating wait--do NOT go there hungry).  The Hamptons.

(Photo Credit: Unknown sweet passerby)

The only days I took photos were when we went to Coney Island and the Hamptons.  I am aghast at the lack of photos I took while they were staying with us, but what can I say?  I was busy falling in love all over again.  I also was busy watching Levi with his bevy of young ladies--his two aunts who were absolutely wonderful with him.


We almost ruled out the Hamptons.  The two hour long drive seemed daunting for just a night's stay, but Lucy's mysterious desire for a Surf n' Turf meal (which she never got, bless her) and Abuelo's opinion about the drive being an experience, tipped us over.  We went.






We went for the bay instead of the ocean and managed to stretch a short day into a slow sun soak.

Then my family had to leave.  Abuelo had go back to work on Monday.  Lucy's boyfriend was going away to college that Sunday, so Lucy had to say goodbye.

So they left at four-thirty in the morning, while we were sleeping.   Levi woke up and said, "Pillow white.  Door white.  Aunt Lucy left.  Aunt Isabelle left."  Facts that he knew.

I am proud of this city, where the coolest rides sit right smack on the beach, amazing architecture loom above all, and where people put the garbage out on the streets, stinking to high heaven.  Facts that I know.





3 comments :

  1. Your little boy is just gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot thank you enough for sharing moments with Hugo Valerie Lucy and Isabelle
    I miss them so much but knowing everyone is happy just make it bearable. Love olivia
    PS you are all so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a sweet visit! Plenty of family this summer. I feel full! :)

      Delete