Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sleep Woes


I want to sleep.  At 5:30 am in the morning when I get up as an attempt to get things done early before Levi wakes up, I want to sleep some more.  At 9:00 am, when Levi has been up for three and a half hours already (yes, he woke up shortly after 5:30), I want to sleep.  Come lunch, I would forego food gladly and sleep.  But Levi is raring to go.  


By 3:00 pm, I am weary, more weary than anything ever experienced in my entire life.  It is not a pretty feeling.  This feeling of tiredness weighs heavily on me throughout the day.  Every single blink is a struggle to complete.  By nighttime when Levi is asleep and I am in my pajamas, happy to surrender to my elusive slumber, I get blown away by that second wind I had been searching all day long.  

I cannot sleep.  

I am 21 weeks along and halfway there.  Levi is 21 months old and is developing new passions: popsicles and smoothies (HA HA, Levi, HA HA!  GOTCHA!  YOU'RE CONSUMING VEGGIES AND FRUIT!).  He also likes the rocks from Nice and my mother's African beads.  He loves to describe Pop's commute to work: Pop leaves.  Pop walks.  Train.  Pop boards train.  Train zooms.  Pop gets off train.  Pop walks to work.  

His naps are swinging from one end to another: they range from three-hour marathons to piddly half an hour catnaps.  Those half-an-hour catnaps are coming out in the lead.  When Levi naps, I nap (no more blogging).  I call those naps "cheap naps."  

It's an ongoing disagreement between Douglas and I.  I tell him I barely sleep when I nap, but he says I am out like a light, dead to the world.  I still feel conscious while napping.  I don't feel as if I am deep under.

I don't wake up feeling refreshed.  I want to look as bright-eyed and rejuvenated as Levi does when he gets up in the morning.  He wakes up with the most delicious grin, as if he spent all night devising an awesome plan and is now finally able to execute it.




3 comments :

  1. Love your writing, it makes me smile and start a great morning! You should write a book one day! Easy and light in humorous sense.

    ~Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats with the new addition to your family soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Levi is officially too gorgeous. Look at those lashes!

    I am having similar sleep issues at 21 weeks. I never wake up feeling refreshed, even after 8 hours of sleep. I usually wake up fully at least once in the middle of the night. Naps sometimes help, but usually I just wake up feeling groggier than before I napped. And let's not talk about weekdays, where napping at the office isn't an option. ;) But, on the weekends, I still make it my policy to sleep when my son sleeps. I hope this is just another passing phase of pregnancy, and hope you get some rest soon!

    ReplyDelete